Thursday 4 October 2018

An ordinary day

We finally got out the house late morning today. Ula was keen to see some of her friends at the Tramway, a local art space, attached to which is the Hidden Garden. It's a lovely wild but contained space, perfect for little ones to run around and feel free, their parents content they are safe enough. Then on to the local library. As soon as we get into the children's corner Ula jumps straight up on one of the chairs, rests her arms on the table and announces she would like to do some drawing. She starts colouring on the sheets I've given her and all this makes me aware another shift has happened: there is something more controlled and precise in her movements. Even her colouring is neater. Another nudge along in her maturity. We read an Anthony Brown book through twice - "Into the Forest". Ula is delighted by it, a slightly dark but less gruesome version of Red Riding Hood.

We are three miles from home and Ula falls asleep in the buggy. A perfect opportunity for me to get a bit of exercise and I decide on a route through our local park (Queen's Park) after picking up a couple of bits for dinner. When I arrive at the top of the hill that leads to my exit I realise another shift has happened: the lime trees that line the hill  are now yellow and sparse. As I approach the road dry leaves are beginning to pile up at the edges of the pavement. Autumn has truly arrived.

We get a local fruit and veg delivery, all seasonal and so we don't know exactly what we will get each week. I enjoy thinking up different recipes to use every last bit of it up. This evening was noodles: I fried up a couple of garlic cloves and an equal amount of fresh ginger in rapeseed oil, after which I added some thinly sliced strips of carrot. Boiled up some noodles, adding some broccoli florets and thinly sliced cavolo nero leaves for the last few minutes, then combined them all in the frying pan with a dash of honey and plenty of soy sauce and fish sauce. I let it all sit whilst I fried up a couple of fried eggs to go on top.



.

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum - is she really eating with chopsticks? If so send the picture to Dan.
    I heard from him today with lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep having problems trying to reply to this. A few things I need to get the hang of! But no, Ula doesn't eat much with the chopsticks. She insists on joining in though and gives it a good go. Dan's holiday looked great didn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Ultra Breastfeeding

I was delighted, excited, inspired on discovering the news of Jasmin Paris's victory as the first woman to win the Montane Spine race, a...