Sunday 13 January 2019

How to Live

We decided to treat ourselves to breakfast out today. We have a small vegetarian cafe nearby called Malacarne. The women that work there are always so friendly and welcoming and the food is delicious. I had pancakes with cream (the lightest and fluffiest), passionfruit, pineapple and a fruity brittle. UU had some pancakes with berries and a little maple syrup. J had avocado, feta and poached eggs on toast with chilli oil. UU loved it and was well aware of what a treat it was. Trips to cafes as a family with a toddler can be incredibly stressful - the complete opposite of what was intended by the experience. However, today went smoothly enough; myself and partner worked as a good enough team. This parenting thing is a continuing work in progress.

We don't eat out often at all really these days. We are lucky that we can live off one main income and I can look after the little one during the week, but we have to be thrifty to make it work (although i secretly enjoy being thrifty: I hate any waste and feel pained if something goes off and we have to throw it away. I will base a whole meal around something that needs using up). Anyone with young children will know the extortionate nursery fees mean that often you are just working to pay the nursery. I wouldn't be being honest though if I said that was the reason I left full time work. I wouldn't have it any other way and love seeing UU grow. Being a teacher for a few years before she came along, I had a love of learning and seeing people learn. I think this is the most important part of the job; if you have that, everything else falls into place. U is learning every day, and nurturing that growth is my main job now.

I would never have predicted that this would be my life now - a stay at home mum, technically speaking,  I suppose. I do a little work from home, but it feels funny to call those few hours "work" when there is a much bigger task at hand (to say the least).

I remember something one of my old colleagues said to me when I told her that I had decided to leave my full time job. She also stayed at home to bring up her children many years ago and has actually just retired from teaching. She said quite simply, "there are so many different ways to live". It really stuck with me. There are, and I see that now. But there is a pressure there, often a pressure I can't exactly pinpoint. It comes from all angles really, in subtle and consistent ways. A pressure to be "striving" for something. Now of course it is important to have dreams, to follow passions, if you have that luxury. But so far in life I have found I am not the sort of person to have a distant ambition and then do absolutely everything to get there. But it can often feel that this is the way everyone should think and feel about life. This pressure is what makes capitalism successful, as everyone strives to outdo each other. Certain careers are deemed more "successful" than others based on how much money one gets from them. So many people must feel inadequate if their life does not fit this model. Caring for people is not respected in our society; caring professions are under paid, people who have to care for family members are given little support.

I have found that many people have a negative opinion if you decide to stay at home to bring up your child, almost like you have let someone (who exactly?!) down for not "striving" for more. Money is often what is valued and respected in our society, and if you decide to step outside of that, many people, I find, don't like it, and don't always make the effort to hide this.

How funny that once upon a time women would be criticised for going back to work, but now it is the opposite? Perhaps the pattern is patriarchy is still at play and women continue to feel external pressure when trying to take control of their own lives.


6 comments:

  1. You are striving in a different kind of way. striving to bring U up in the best possible way, making her feel loved and secure, helping her to fulfil her potential, I admire the way you are both going about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that is true in a way! Because it is such a natural thing I don't think about it like that. Also, there's no "end goal" in sight. It's more about creating the best environment for Ula to grow - like you say, with love and security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thoughtful, well written piece. I have searched around recently for blogs from what I call the younger generation. They may sometimes express doubts but largely they are forward looking and optimistic.

    Other people's opinions, negative or otherwise, are just that - opinions! It's your life and you choose how best to live it.
    As for thriftiness, I'm embarrassed to admit to a very ripe banana sitting in a dish, waiting to be rescued. Inspiration is in short supply today :(.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "Alphie". Although I do think it is worth discussing the impact of others' opinions. They can often stray into "advice" territory, therefore coming with the onus that it should be acted upon. This can be burdensome, even if you are able to stay true to your own heart, this can often cloud that path and leave you feeling a little confused about whether or not you are taking the right course of action.
      Sometimes this can be in the form of little comments here or there, from complete strangers, from old friends. But really, in ideal world nobody would be doing this - as how can anyone fully understand all the circumstances, context, the multitude of different things that have led up to someone's decision-making?
      I think this is the sort of thing it is easier to deal with as one gets older I expect.

      Delete
  4. Yours seems to be the obvious,good, wholesome way to bring up a small person. Going out to work to earn money to pay someone to do it for you seems like a very inefficient way to go about it. One must never lose sight of this: you never stopped working, you just stopped working for somebody else. You are, in effect, self employed. Your financial income from this is, in effect, the money you don't have to find to pay a nursery. And it's the best kind of work. One has to hold onto these kind of thoughts and stay positive as the years go by. I'm sure too many working parents, in mid life, wish they stayed at home and, vice versa, many parents who left their jobs to bring up children wonder what an "amazing, fulfilling career" they might have had. Both speculations are futile and depressing. Both need to be kicked into touch. You have clearly made the right decisions and should never need to have any regrets in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is all right. I should add I am lucky to have supportive family, as it must be very difficult for those that don't!

      Delete

Ultra Breastfeeding

I was delighted, excited, inspired on discovering the news of Jasmin Paris's victory as the first woman to win the Montane Spine race, a...